The Dangers of Deep-Frying a Turkey at Home22-Oct-2018
Holidays in the South are never complete without a Cajun deep-fried turkey. Drawn in by the promise of delectable, moist, savory turkey meat, deep-frying this traditional Thanksgiving staple has grown to be increasingly popular. However tempting, deep-frying a turkey is not as easy as it sounds. It can actually be a very lethal activity. If done the wrong way, the turkey can explode, setting your entire house on fire.
Statistically, at least 60 injuries, five deaths, over $15-million in property damage, and the devastation of 900 homes occur annually when people try to deep-fry turkeys themselves. Keep reading to learn just how dangerous a deep-fry DIY can be.
6 Reasons why you should let the pros handle it:
- Deep-frying a turkey is a several day long commitment. Proper thawing time in the refrigerator can take up to several days, and thawing your turkey on the counter instead of in the fridge can result in salmonella poisoning.
- Deep-fat turkey fryers are extremely dangerous because they run a high risk of spilling hot oil, tipping over, and overheating; all of which can lead to burns, fires, and other injuries.
- Cooking oil can spill so easily due to a partially frozen turkey or an overfilled pot. If even the tiniest amount of cooking oil touches the burner, it can result in a massive fire. Ensure that you follow proper oil displacement procedure.
- The lid, sides of the cooking pot, and handles get insanely hot, which can result in harsh burns.
- If you don’t have thermostat controls, your deep fryer can overheat the oil to the point of catching fire (this usually happens around 400-425 degrees).
- Placing a frozen turkey in a deep fryer full of high temperature oil can result in enormous flames climbing up to 10 feet high. Whenever the oil boils the water that’s within the turkey, it causes massive amounts of steam, which forces the oil to boil over.
These are just a few of the endless reasons why you should let the pros handle your turkey this year. At Copeland’s, we fry our turkeys in peanut oil as a healthy alternative. Have a safe, healthy Thanksgiving this year and let us do the work for you. You can order a turkey and pick it up at a scheduled time. That way, we can ensure that your turkey is hot and fresh when you pick it up. Order one of our Cajun deep-fried turkeys today!